Monday 1 September 2014

UNDER THE SEA WITH GENTLE GIANTS


I finally got to check one of the items in my bucket list for this year - to swim with the gentle giants in Oslob!
My sister and I, together with our korean couple friend, went to the southern part of the island just to be meeting with these whale sharks. From South Bus terminal, we had a three-hour bus ride. Just a tip for those who want to go there - you have to wake up very early. Uh, yeah. Another reminder: feeding of the whale sharks starts from 6AM to 12 noon only.The travel can be such a pain in the butt but I swear, it's worth the pain! When you arrive at the location, you register yourselves and attend a five minute quick bried on what to do and what not to do. Then you go to the counter to pay. Prices depend if you only do whale shark watching, or with snorkling, or with diving. For us, we had whale shark watching with snorkling. Price for the locals is only P500 while for foreign people, it's for a thousand. After that, someone will guide you to your bangka that would take you to where they are feeding the whale sharks. Then, out of nowhere, you see a huge black shadohe. The first time I saw it, I was in awe especially when its big mouth opens. 





I have always been afraid of any sea creatures especially fishes despite my huge love for swimming and the beach. Isn't that ironice? And in that moment, I have conquered that fear. I wasn't able to recognize that there were a lot of fishes around me because my main focus that time were the butangdings (whale sharks). You only have 30 minutes to be swimming with them. Of course, I didn't waste any seconds. I opt to jump into the water and saw them up close. We were briefed to stay a 4 meter distance with them, but I guess it doesn't work that way because the whale sharks themselves want to be near you. I was swimming when there was this whale shark who was comming on my side! I was hanging myself on the boat railings and the boat men were laughing at me. I believe that they are harmless, but their huge size just scared me. It took a few minutes for me not to freak out whenever they approach me. It was such a great time to have a closer encounter with them.














I didn't waste the chance to have some captured memories with them. Thanks to the boat men who were GoPro savy. Yay! 

It was such an awesome and priceless experience. Totally worth the trip and worth the experience!

♡ ♡ ♡



Sincerely,

Bethel xx







No comments:

Post a Comment